“In these photo’s I’ve tried to capture the beauty of staircases in abandoned places.
Places like these can be very old carrying lots of history with them. The difference in architecture is great to see and I believe that each place tells it own story.
The staircase is one of my favourite objects in an abandoned place.
I’m not exactly sure why that is though. I believe I’m just intrigued by the shape of them.
It’s interesting to look at them from the bottom all the way up, and the other way around.
You can see that someone has actually thought this properly through.
Some of these have the shape of an eye, others are made out of pure concrete and others are very detailed carved into wood by a true craftsman with the tiniest details.
The staircase is such an important part of a building connecting floors with each other, often in the center of the building. You can barely miss it and have to use it.” – Roman Robroek
The first staircase occurred during the earliest human settlements. In 2004, the city Halshtadt, Austria, in the ancient salt mine, scientists have discovered well-preserved wooden staircase. Scientists say that it is built for 5000 years BC. e.
Of course, we will not look for such ancient stairs, and here on the beautiful old staircase in the abandoned building in Europe see.
The ancient Greeks and Romans, to erect the Colosseum, amphitheatres and temples, can not do without massive ladders. Ancient temples were built on raised platforms (stylobate), consisting of a series of steps. Sometimes stage reached more than 2 m in height.
3. In the Middle Ages, castles were defensive walls and towers, which climbed the stairs, dark and damp basement or a dungeon, into which the stairs down.
4. Spiral staircases in towers of medieval castles were built in such a way that the rise is clockwise on them. This was done in order to, in the case of the siege of the castle, tower defense had the advantage during the melee, as the most powerful right-hander can be applied only right that was not available to the attacker. In addition, if an attacker will use to protect the shield, then he will not be able to use the weapon.
5. With the development of materials and processing methods for the development of new changes the appearance and finish of stairs.
6. Well, we continue to examine the beautiful staircase in the old abandoned buildings in Europe.
7. For the most part, the ladder comes in old abandoned European castles.