International Photography Competition from Smithsonian magazine has been held for the 12th time. During this time, the editors reviewed more than 265 000 photos from more than 90 countries.
Today we look at the winners and see the best photos in the categories of “Nature”, “People”, “Travel”, “Altered Images” and “mobility”.
Be sure to visit the contest page at Smithsonian.com to see all the winners and finalists.
Winners of the 2014 Smithsonian Magazine Photo Contest:
1. The winner in the category of “America.” Of course here the White House , Barack Obama (left) and a portrait of Abraham Lincoln, looking from the Oval Office. (Photo by Olivier Douliery):
2. The winner in the category “Travel”. Fireworks during the celebration of Holy Week in Acobamba, Peru. (Photo by David Martín Huamaní Bedoya):
3. finalist in the category “Travel”. Wheat field in Bagan, Myanmar. The view from the balloon . (Photo Kumar Sareday):
4. The winner in the category “People”. Mother playing with baby in the flooded areas near the banks of the Ganges River, Kolkata, India. (Photo Joydeep Mukherjee):
5. finalist in the category “People”. A teenage girl from a tribe in Ethiopia. (Photo by Matjaz Krivic):
6. finalist in the category “People”. Baby albino albino at a meeting at the Museum of Ethnology in Valencia. Albinism – congenital absence of the pigment melanin, which gives color skin, hair and so on. (Photo by Ana Yturralde):
7. The winner in the category “Mobile.” National Library of China in Beijing. (Photo Yilang Peng):
8. The winner in the category “Altered Images”. Fisherman’s house in the middle of the sea, Malaysia. (Photo Jefflin Ling):
9. finalist in the category “Nature”. Waves in Australia. (Photo by Ray Collins):
10. Finalist in the category “Nature”. Grizzly Bear National Park Lake Clark National Park and Preserve, Alaska. (Photo by Kevin Morgans):
11. Reader’s Choice in the category “Nature”. Snake. (Photo by Alvaro Cubero Vega from Costa Rica):
12. Reader’s Choice in the category “Nature”. Snake caught a frog in Costa Rica. (Photo by Nicolas Reusens):
13. The winner in the category “Nature”. Green Iguana swims in a cave on the Caribbean island of Bonaire. (Photo by Lorenzo Mittig):
14. The winner of the 12th International Photographic Competition on the magazine Smithsonian. Sewing fishing net, Vietnam. (Photo: Pham Ty):