Tower Bridge – London Bridge is the most famous and one of the symbols of not only the city, but perhaps the whole of England. With its Gothic towers, he has an unusual, catchy and recognizable appearance. Looking at these objects are always amazed, how in those times they were built … This time we have the opportunity to see the process.
1. Amazing photos showing the process of building the Tower Bridge were unexpectedly found … in a dumpster.
2. Fifty sepia photos dating 1892 year, captured under construction Tower Bridge, one of the main attractions of the UK.
3. The last five years Photo lain in a suitcase under the bed an anonymous resident of Westminster, who found them in a dumpster during the demolition of a building. In addition to this picture, he found a few books. The man says that the book took the museum Tower Bridge and tried to tell the employees that he has still photos, but it does not even want to listen, saying that the photos they had already more than enough. Man admits that just did not know what to do with the photographs – and therefore put them in a bag and put it under the bed.
4. So they lay there and if one finds an unusual winner decided not to talk about the pictures to his neighbor Peter Berthudu working in Westminster tour guide. Peter remembers that his own eyes could not believe seeing unique pictures. He spent several days studying albums and documents, trying to figure out whether these are known to those skilled photographers – and discovered that no one even aware of their existence!
5. Tower Bridge – the most low-lying within the Thames bridge (he first encountered when climbing it from the North Sea), and only one of the bridges, which is a drawbridge.
6. Captured in the photographs of the bridge steel base, the existence of which many do not even know – because the outer part of the bridge is lined with stone. Bridge architect was Horace Jones, who after his death was succeeded as John Wolfe-Barry. It was he who insisted that the bridge was lined with stone.
7. Peter Berthud calls this his favorite picture. “These people do not even guessed that erecting a monument of architecture” – he says.
8. Tower Bridge Construction began in 1886 and was completed in 8 years. Inauguration of the new bridge was held June 30, 1894 by Edward Prince of Wales and his wife Princess Alexandra.
9. Its modern appearance bridge acquired in 1977 – before that, since its opening, it was all chocolate color. The bridge was repainted in the national colors in honor of the 50th anniversary of Queen Elizabeth II.
10. Bridge got its name because of the neighborhood with the Tower: the north end of the bridge is located near the southeast corner of the Tower of London, and parallel to the eastern wall of the Tower of London is a road, which is a continuation of the Tower Bridge.
11. The decision on the construction of the bridge was made in connection with the development of the eastern district of London – East End – its inhabitants became inconvenient to move to the other side of the Thames. Built in 1870, the tunnel under the Thames Tower Subway was intended only for pedestrians and only partially solved the problem.
12. Movable bridge spans lifts located at the base of the towers of the hydraulic mechanism. Initially, it had steam engines. Bridge divorced just a couple of minutes, while his farm rose to 86 degrees, ie rose almost vertically. The same mechanism is powered elevator at pedestrians on the altitude galleries and signals that control traffic on the bridge. In 1976, the hydraulic system, water initially became oily and was electrified.
13. Divorce is not the bridge on schedule, and each time it was necessary for him to pass the ship. Currently schedule exists, but is not a regular – prepared months in advance at the request of large ships that have to pass under a bridge in London Poole or back.
14. Hiking gallery 45 meters above the water thought for people to be able to pass over the bridge even while lifting spans. Top people climbed the spiral stairs and elevators located inside the towers. However, in 1910 the galleries were closed decision of the Parliament, as became a refuge for prostitutes and pickpockets. Decent pedestrians do not particularly eager to climb on them, preferring to wait until the bridge divorces and reduces back.
15. Since 1982, the gallery reopened, but as part of the Museum of the bridge and observation deck.
16. Inside the bridge there is a museum dedicated to its history. It is possible to see the real thing, but not now operating mechanisms which govern the movement spans.
17. Peter Berthud photographs of Tower Bridge at home in London.