These photos give us a rare glimpse into life on death row in the famous San Quentin prison in California. Not only them.
San Quentin is located at Cape San Quentin in California, USA. The area of the territory – about 1.7 sq.km. State San Quentin was opened in July 1852 and is the oldest in California.
Death Row in the Famous San Quentin Prison in California:
3. Behind this door are invoiced death row. (Photo by Stephen Lam | Reuters):
4. It is home to a very textured personality. (Photo by Stephen Lam | Reuters):
5. Here’s one of them. With pleasure poses for photographers. And a death row inmate. (Photo by Stephen Lam | Reuters):
6. The death penalty in the United States is a legitimate punishment in 32 states. In 2010, there were executed 39 people, and 3,108 were on death row awaiting sentencing, so the percentage of sentences of less than 2%. The traditional leader in the number of executions is Texas. (Photo by Stephen Lam | Reuters):
7. View of the guard tower. (Photo by Stephen Lam | Reuters):
8. General view of the jail. At San Quentin to execute the death penalty, this has a gas chamber, but in recent years, instead of the death penalty for her use lethal injection. (Photo by Stephen Lam | Reuters):
9. The guard with brand strap. (Photo by Stephen Lam | Reuters):
10. Lethal injection – a way to implement the death penalty, comprising administering to a solution of poisons in the body sentenced. At the same time, to limit physical suffering sentenced, it can also be administered painkillers. (Photo by Stephen Lam | Reuters):
11. The death row present the benefits of civilization. For example, a TV that looks one of the prisoners. Hinged locks make frivolous impression. (Photo by Stephen Lam | Reuters):
12. In anticipation of lethal injection. (Photo by Stephen Lam | Reuters):
13. Lethal injection is used as a method of capital punishment in many US states, as well as the Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam and China. In most states in the US lethal injection as a more humane view of penalty it has been replaced by electrocution. (Photo by Stephen Lam | Reuters):
14. As used in the late XX – early XXI century method of lethal injection was developed in 1977 and the medical examiner Jay Chapman approved Deutsche Stanley. Death occurs in the period from 5 to 18 minutes after the start of execution. Condemned men plunged into a deep sleep.
The inscription on the wall: “The happiest place on Earth.” (Photo by Stephen Lam | Reuters):
15. In 2011, in the newspaper “Los Angeles Times” was published a study that the death penalty – despite the fact that its application is not a deterrent, and is not immune from miscarriages of justice – is a very heavy burden on the financial system, not only the local authorities but also regional and federal. (Photo by Stephen Lam | Reuters):
How much is the death penalty in California:
- $ 4 billion – the total consumption figures on the death penalty during the period from 1978 (2011);
- $ 308 million – in the amount of such penalty cost for each of the 13 executed since 1992;
- $ 1.1 million – the excess of the cost of the contents of each executed (including the costs of litigation, etc.) than if he had been sentenced to life imprisonment;
- $ 300 thousand. – The average cost of attorney’s fees, if sentenced to death appealed;
- $ 100 thousand. 663 – the average annual cost of keeping one sentenced to death;
714 – so many people today expect execution of the sentence of the death penalty in California prisons;
- 10 years – so much time on average, it is necessary that the state Supreme Court heard the appeal under sentence of death;
- 92 – the number of those sentenced to death, who died in the prisons of the state since 1978. Of these, died of natural causes – 54 executions – 13, committed suicide – 18, were killed by violence or other reasons – 6.
16. Talking to reporters. (Photo by Stephen Lam | Reuters):
17. Usually in San Quentin to execute the death sentences for prisoners more famous Alcatraz. (Photo by Stephen Lam | Reuters):
Critics of this method of execution, lethal injection creates a semblance of a humane way, without being so in reality. According to some reports, in practice, the dosing regimen is often violated. Studying records autopsy executed in several states of the United States showed that the concentration of anesthetics substances in the blood are lower than is necessary for a surgical operation, and in some cases is so low that it could be put to death in conscious …
18. San Quentin, California. (Photo by Stephen Lam | Reuters):