Australian photographer Matt Burgess for six years takes the ocean waves photos. Matt Burgess takes photos from unusual angles, and even the looks “on the wave” – most people do not see the ocean from this side.
Matt Burgess love to capture beneath the breaking wave as it is a view that most non ocean going people don’t get to experience, a lot of people are blown away by what actually happens beneath the surface.
In a shallow shore wave “feels” the bottom. By rubbing the lower portion of the liquid layer is inhibited, and the crest of the wave continues to move, leans forward and tilted. So there is surf. On the shore accumulates frothy water bank, and to meet him, with the bank of the water flows of the previous wave.
3. The main cause of the waves is the wind. He seemed pushes the water surface and removes it from the equilibrium state.
4. Even light winds can create waves. Normally wave height does not exceed 4 meters. Large waves (over 20 meters) generated by storm winds. The largest of the wind wave height of 34 meters (the height of 10-storey building) was recorded in the central Pacific Ocean in 1933.
5. When the wind weakens, the high waves of the ocean are changing ripples – low anxiety. The stronger the wind and the greater the long expanse of water, the higher the waves. With the excitement of deep water decreases and becomes invisible.
6. Waves perform destructive and creative work. In some places they are so hard hit against the shore that destroy rocks
7. On the shores of the Black Sea the power of the wave impact can reach 25 tons per 1 sq.m. Not every building will withstand such an onslaught. In this case, the water rises to a height of 60 meters.
8. When the storm ocean waves capable of moving stones weighing several tons. In order to protect the coast and port facilities from destruction, build special breakwaters of reinforced concrete slabs.
9. Creative work is ocean waves – is the creation of sand and pebble beaches. In addition, water waves stirred contribute to its enrichment with oxygen and heat. This is essential for living organisms Ocean.
10. Earthquakes and volcanic eruptions can cause huge waves – a tsunami that spread in all directions from the appearance of the place and cover the entire water column from the bottom to the surface. Tsunami go across the ocean at speeds of jet aircraft.
11. The height of a tsunami in the open ocean is small – up to 1 m at a wavelength of 200 km. Therefore, there is great excitement and tsunamis difficult to detect among water expanses.
12. All changes to the approach to the shore. Before the tsunami the sea, exposing the bottom, moving away from the shores of hundreds of meters, as if for the run. And then quickly rolled wave. Sandwiched in the narrow banks of the harbor, it grows up to 20-30 m. That is why the Japanese word “tsunami” is literally translated as “wave in the harbor”.
13. Water Wall tsunami whole weight falls on the coast. She flips the ship, destroying the building and retreating into the ocean carries everything that comes in its way. Most tsunamis occur on the west coast of the Pacific Ocean. To prevent a tsunami is not possible, you can tolish advance warning of the approach.
14. It has long been observed that every 6 hours the water level in the oceans is rising, it is omitted. Water that comes ashore and moves away to the land, then departs from it, exposing the bottom. Raising the water level in the ocean called the inflow, and its decline – the outflow. On the sea coasts of forced strip width sometimes reaches several kilometers. The influx there can be boating, and fishing. At low tide – a walk along the bottom and collect seashells.
15. Tides – is also the ocean waves. They are caused by the gravity of the moon and the sun. Together they manage to create a tidal wave. Unlike conventional, tidal wave has planetary character. Huge masses of the oceans is rising, then descend. Ocean as if breathing.
16. Moon and, to a lesser extent, the Sun cause tides as scheduled – 2 times a day. The ebb and flow as the day and night come to this planet with a precision of good hours.
17. The onset of tidal time is not the same everywhere. In addition, the height of the ocean waves is less than 1 m, there are therefore invisible. High tides occur in narrow bays, estuaries. Thus, the height of the tide in the Black Sea may be only a few centimeters, and in the narrow bays Okhotsk Sea is 13 meters. The highest tides in the oceans, reaching 18 meters, observed in the Bay of Fundy off the east coast of North America.
18. Mariners have long been drawn up special tables, which allow ships with the high or low of the wave. Nowadays, computers have replaced the table. And tidal waves have tremendous energy that a person uses to generate electricity.