“MythBusters” – an American popular science television program on channel Discovery Channel. Transmission are experts in special effects Jamie Hyneman and Adam Savage, using their skills and experience for the experimental verification of various tales, rumors, urban legends and other creatures of popular culture.
1. Sharks – killing machines at the peak of the evolutionary development
“MythBusters” tested a lot of myths associated with the sharks. For example, they can flip the boat and make a dent in the bottom of the vessel (not confirmed) that they can smell one drop of blood in the whole basin (valid only if it is a fish, not the person) that if the play dead, the shark will not attack (sometimes works), and that the shark reached the pinnacle of evolution and remain unchanged for 400 million years (in fact, about 100 million years).
2. Unable to swallow the entire spoonful of ground cinnamon
“MythBusters” conducted this experiment, and it was a success. But in case you want to repeat it, keep in mind that it’s still not safe. And why?
3. Echo is not responsible for the duck quacking
Responsible, although it is difficult to hear. Echo quacking duck is very similar to the original sound. Therefore, a person is difficult to determine when the end itself and starts quacking echo of it.
4. You can fool Breathalyzer, chewing onions or glotnuv mouthwash
Destroyers have tried many folk remedies for fraud machine that determines the availability of alcohol vapors in the driver’s breath, and all of them have failed. Also, do not forget that there is also a blood test.
5. You can survive falling from a great height into the water, if you throw in front of a hammer – he “break” the surface tension
Checked. Do not ride.
6. You can kill a man by throwing a coin in one cent from the roof of the Empire State Building (102 floors, 381 m)
Nothing like that. The coin is too small, and its density is insufficient to death. Destroyers have even tried to shoot up a coin from the rifle, and it is still falling fast enough to kill someone.
7. A tooth with a seal can receive radio signals
8. Using a mobile phone while refueling the car could cause an explosion
An explosion during refueling may occur due to the large amount of combustible vapors in the air, and the electrostatic charge – but the phone has nothing to do with it. Static discharge can occur when you enter the car, or, conversely, get out of it.
9. If you throw a playing card fast enough, it can penetrate the human skin
The most skillful brosatel playing cards Mythbusters team was able to achieve flight speed of 40 km / h No damage to the skin such a map is not caused. Then they invented a machine that threw out cards with a speed of 250 km / h, but this rate also was not enough to penetrate human skin.
10. Quicksand tighten the person until it is completely inside and dies
This myth was born thanks to the film and our imagination. The density of this quicksand higher than the density of water. And the higher the density, the easier it is to stay on the surface. So you will just have to “float” on the surface of it.
11. If you open an umbrella, falling from a great height, the drop will slow, and the chances of survival increase
Only in cartoons, unfortunately. If the rate of fall and fall, it really is unimportant.
12. You can survive a fall of an elevator, jumping up just before the collision with the ground
It seems logical, but in fact to choose the right moment is almost impossible. But even if you do it, the speed of the fall of the elevator is so high that you would immediately crashed on the roof of the cab.
13. Firefighter helicopter can suck a scuba diver in the collection of water from the pond and throw it on the fire site
14. You can disable the car, pour sugar in the gas tank
It is not true. During the experiment, the machine Destroyers of added sugar went even better than before.
15. Of all the spiders have the most potent poison spiders crane flies. They are not dangerous to humans because they can not bite through human skin
16. If you keep your toothbrush in the cup by the sink, then it will settle germs from the toilet – they rise into the air and fly through the bathroom every time you press the flush
This claim has not been refuted completely. And it proved to be true, too, can not say.
The fact that all the tested samples, including controls, were indeed found fecal bacteria. However, their number in all cases was too little to be hazardous. Experts have confirmed that to get rid of these bacteria is virtually impossible.
17. Goldfish are not able to remember anything for more than three seconds
It is not true at the time of the experiment team Destroyers train the fish to bypass the obstacle under water and even small fish in a month to remember that.
18. Had fallen to the floor food you can eat if you raised it for five seconds
In fact, it does not matter whether the food was lying on the floor for five seconds or five minutes – Number of nasty things on the food in both cases is the same.
19. Landing on the moon was not
Those who believe that Neil Armstrong had never been to the moon, give a number of arguments that have been refuted Destroyers: that one of the photographs Armstrong should not be seen (not true, the lighting on the moon is not the same as on Earth) that the flag vacuum can not fly (can) that was left on the surface of the imprint feet astronaut (not true) and that the video could be manufactured on Earth, simply asking the astronaut jump and squandered the film in slow motion (funny but true).
20. Coming out of the room for a short time, economical to leave the lights on, than turn it off and then on again
Destroyers were able to establish the following:
On switching on the lights out as much energy as burning in the light burned less than a second (except for fluorescent lamps, the inclusion of which leaves enough energy to light was 23 seconds). Moreover, on and off the light has almost no influence on the life of most light bulbs. So it is much more economical turn off the light, even if you leave the room for a few minutes.
21. You can stay under water for a long time, breathing in the air from the tires sunken car
Only in the movies. During the experiment, the tester can not retrieve from a punctured tire with enough air.