The Grand Canyon in Arizona and Las Vegas in the Mojave Desert in Nevada are well known and consistently attract millions of tourists from all over the earth. One of the attractions of the American West there was a little more than a century ago, and the other senior – her, according to various estimates, from 5 to 17 million years.
1. On the border of Nevada and Arizona, 50 kilometers east of Las Vegas is located artificial lake Lake Mead, or simply Mead. It is the largest reservoir in the United States was formed by the construction of Hoover Dam on the Colorado River and stretches for 180 kilometers above the dam.
2. The area of the Colorado Plateau and the channel of the same name of the river is a paradise for geologists. Rugged landscape reveals the history of the Earth’s crust and tectonic phenomena in the whole of its length.
3. The Grand Canyon or the Grand Canyon. Formed the bed of the Colorado River deep valley stretches almost 450 kilometers through the territory of the State of Arizona.
4. The Grand Canyon in its depth (up to 1800 meters), more than three times inferior to the canyon of the Kali Gandaki in Nepal. However, he has no equal in extent and scope, as well as the complexity and colorful landscape.
5. Until recently, the age of the Grand Canyon is estimated at 5-6 million years, but recent studies have removed the beginning of the valley formation by another 11-12 million years ago.
6. The Grand Canyon was formed due to the fact that tectonic shifts lifted the Colorado Plateau. As a result, he changed the profile of the channel of the river of the same name, and the efforts for limestone washed away, after which the water is literally cut a gorge in the thick shales and sandstones.
Canyon and still continues to deepen because of erosion of rocks.
7. The width of the Grand Canyon at the top, the plateau level ranges from 6 to 29 kilometers. Down at the river bed, – less than one kilometer. In June 2013 the US tightrope walker Nikolas Wallenda crossed 430 meters above the canyon on a steel rope with only one-sixth the balance without insurance. The main enemy extremals at an altitude of 450 meters of steel wind gusts, the speed reached 50 km / h.
8. In the area of the Grand Canyon historically inhabited by indigenous people of North America, the Indians created a small settlement and mastered numerous caves. Representatives of the Pueblo peoples worshiped the territory of the canyon, it was considered sacred and pilgrimage organized here.
9. The Spanish conquistadors were first introduced to the Grand Canyon in the middle of the XVI century, after which the Europeans set foot here for several centuries. Rare American travelers, hunters, adventurers and tramps began to penetrate the local space at the beginning of the XIX century. The first geologist visited the canyon in 1858, a large scientific expedition – a decade later. At the dawn of the XX century the initiator and supporter of the state of protection and preservation of the Grand Canyon became a US President Teodor Ruzvelt, a lover of the local hunting and nature. In 1919 Grand Canyon became a US National Park. And now the canyon is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
10. Hydro Lake Mead supplies water to about 20 million people in Southern California and the desert of Nevada. Cascade Lake Mead reservoir formed several successive “pools” in the photo is one of them – the Virgin Basin. The maximum depth of Lake Mead about 160 meters.
11. The Grand Canyon is one of the greatest natural attractions in the world, every year it is visited by 4 million people (mostly from the US itself). In addition to the passive contemplation of the landscape, tourism infrastructure offers rafting on the Colorado River, the descent into the canyon on mules, hiking and jogging trails, sky diving, as well as flights over the canyon on small airplanes and helicopters.
12. In June 1956, over the Grand Canyon was the largest at that time in the world crash: encountered two main airliner, killing 128 people in the sky. The pilots made a demo circled the canyon, such maneuvers in the tier if not forbidden. PP led to a sharp tightening of the rules of flights of civil aviation and the development of supervisory support liners throughout the entire route, not just in the major airports of the area. By the way, the victims of the canyon is not only air travelers. Since the 1870s, more than 50 people fell into the abyss (mostly luckless photographers), and 80 people have drowned in the Colorado River.
13. Length of the extremely rugged coastline Lake Mead reservoir – more than 1,200 kilometers.
14. The air in the area of the Grand Canyon is considered one of the cleanest and most transparent in the United States. However, at times the atmosphere quality deteriorates due to forest fires and dust storms.
15. Rock The Head.
16. Lake Mead has the status of a national recreation area. Among the most popular activities here – boating, swimming, water skiing, sunbathing, fishing. On the shore of the reservoir line created several artificial bays, marinas with sandy beaches. In addition, in the Lake Mead operates a botanical garden with a large collection of cacti and other flora samples of the Mojave Desert.
17. The Colorado River is one of the most controlled in the world. Boom construction of hydraulic structures in its basin began at the turn of the XIX and XX centuries. Since erected on Colorado dam nearly three dozen population for water and electricity. One of the largest and most famous – the Hoover Dam on the border of Nevada and Arizona.
18. Hoover Dam.
The dam was built in the years 1931-1936 and was then the tradition was named in honor of the 31st US President Herbert Hoover. The dam is the second in the US in height (221 meters), on it spent 3.3 million. Cubic meters of concrete, the dam at the time was the most massive structures on earth. Electricity to produce 17 hydroelectric generators with a total capacity of more than 2 gigawatts.
19. Until 2001, car traffic has been organized by the dam, but after the September terrorist attacks, it is seriously limited. In October 2010, the Black Canyon about half a kilometer south of the Hoover Dam was opened 4-band Memorial Bridge Mike O’Callaghan – Pat Tillman.
20. Las Vegas. The largest city in the state of Nevada and the 28th in the list of the most populated cities in the US. Vegas is often called the world capital of gambling and even the City of Sin.
21. citizens themselves prefer to call Las Vegas the world capital of entertainment: a resort town, a major center of not only a game of chance for money, but also to rest in a broader sense, shopping, fine dining, attractions, entertainment and nightlife. Las Vegas attracts tourists and various architectural landmarks, among them, for example – a small copy of the Eiffel Tower.
22. Las Vegas Strip.
The main street of the city was stretched only 7 kilometers, but are of the highest concentration of hotels and casinos. 14 of the 25 largest by number of rooms hotels in the world are working on the Las Vegas Strip (general fund of the local hotels is about 67 000 rooms). The appearance of the Las Vegas Strip is constantly changing and is flexible: for example, several tens of hotels and casinos were closed and demolished due to change of ownership or business model, their place in the way of the land of Las Vegas immediately hold new objects.
23. City every year attracts millions of visitors, not only tourists in search of thrills, but also business people: in Las Vegas, with its developed infrastructure of the hotel are many of the major forums and business conferences. The permanent population of Las Vegas about half a million people. In the XX century, it became the fastest growing cities in the US – the leader in population growth of less than one hundred years since its foundation. (In the XIX century, the fastest growing city of Chicago was the country).
24. Exotic resort in the middle of the desert. Mandalay Bay complex is situated at the southern end of the Las Vegas Strip. This 43-storey hotel with a casino in the area of two football fields! The main attraction of the hotel – sandy beach and several large pools, including, with waves up to 1.8 meters.
25. Translated from Spanish Las Vegas means “fertile valley.” This oasis of clean water in the Mojave Desert in 1829 found members of wayward trading caravan from Mexico to Los Angeles. A powerful impetus to the development of Las Vegas in 1931 gave the legalization of gambling and the influx of people to the construction of the Hoover Dam. After the Second World War in Vegas have invested, on the one hand, like the famous mafia gangster Bagsi Sigala, on the other hand – Mormon bankers. In today’s Las Vegas, has a share of the business empire of the current US president Donald Trump.
26. Built in 1997, the “corner” of New York in Las Vegas: the building, copying iconic skyscrapers largest US metropolis, other well-known sites and a mini replica of the Statue of Liberty. In addition to the hotel and casino entertainment complex “New York, New York” includes the “roller coaster” stylized New York taxi.
27. The 350-meter tower “Stratosphere” complex – the tallest building in Las Vegas.
28. At the top of the tower “Stratosphere”, in addition to the observation deck and restaurant, arranged several attractions, such as the carousel, going beyond the boundaries of the building.
29. International Airport Mc Carran. “Gates Las Vegas” serve more than 45 million passengers a year.
30. Liners from McCarran Airport non-stop flights to dozens of cities in the US and the main centers of Europe and Asia. Each year takes place at the airport more than 600,000 takeoffs and landings. To unload the McCarran Las Vegas plans to open an additional airport Ivanpah.
31. Leaving Las Vegas. The fact that this city never sleeps – is by no means an exaggeration.