If you visit the San Diego Zoo and decide to look at cheetahs, you can see quite close to one of them the dog, and it is no coincidence dog ran, and “companion”, specially selected under the program “Animal Ambassadors”.
1. In the last century in the wild lived about 100,000 cheetahs, now it less 12,000 and they completely destroyed in 13 countries. Formidable-looking predator cheetah timid by nature, most cheetahs leads a lonely life and does not admit to imagine anyone, which greatly complicates the process of reproduction in captivity, especially given the fact that the female is in heat begins only in the presence of the male.
2. Ironically, the presence of dogs, cheetahs suffer much easier than the presence of other individuals of their species, moreover, allows the presence of a number of dog tame cheetahs instincts and make them more tolerant to the presence of other people and even cheetahs.
3. In 4 of the 19 cheetahs San Diego Zoo has a companion – a dog, take them mostly from shelters, given the nature of the animal and reduce the three-month cheetahs pups of the same age. The dog has a dominant position in the pair and serves as a model for behavior, as well as protect his ward. Since childhood, animals spend almost all our time together.
5. Presence stifled cowardly dog feline nature and not only contribute to the great success of zoo breeding cheetahs (135 in the last 40 years), but also to create visitors the opportunity to witness live the speed of the fastest runners nature. Cheetah accelerates from 0 to 60 miles (96.6 km) per hour in 3.4 seconds.
6. Speed is very important for survival as the cheetah is not fit to fight larger predators. Cheetah is capable of speeds of 60-70 miles (96.6 – 112.6 km) per hour, depending on its size, but because they can run only 20-30 seconds if running will take a minute or more, the risk of dying animal, as stress and heat exhaustion can literally “fry” his insides at this speed.
7. Only dog - a companion that was not taken from a shelter, this Anatolian Shepherd Yeti.
8. Nobody do not know exactly how the idea came to cheetahs podselyat dogs, but this breed is helped propel her.
9. In 1981, the zoo was given two cheetah with dogs and transmitting condition was not to divide the animals, as they are accustomed to each other. At the same time, the Anatolian Shepherd indirectly helped preserve the population of cheetahs in Africa.
10. About 20 years ago, Dr. Laurie Marker, founder and director of the Cheetah Conservation Fund in the Southern African nation of Namibia, has delivered these dogs from Turkey and gave local farmers to protect their herds of sheep dog. Large dogs have successfully distilled predators and deprived farmers need to kill animals.
11. First time in 30 years, the population of cheetahs began to grow.