Over the past forty years, a sense of inner freedom allowed Arno Rafael Minkkinen photograph themselves in various ways: sometimes curled up on the sandy beach, sometimes hanging from the cliff edge, but always naked as he was at birth. His landscapes are constantly changing, but always Minkkinen becomes part of their extravagantly connecting body and nature.
Arno Rafael Minkkinen was born in Finland, the child moved to the U.S. and now lives and works in Andover, Massachusetts. Regularly participates in exhibitions and won many awards. Since 1988, the photographer works as a professor of art at the University of Massachusetts.
Unusual Self-Portraits by Arno Rafael Minkkinen:
3. Over the past forty years has been teaching Minkkinen, curatorial work and literatorstvom, continuing to devote their photographic portraits force the creation of exclusively: raw images of the human figure in the natural and urban environment. Finland, Norway and Sweden, France, Italy, China and the American West – his stomping grounds of “hunting” for the staff.
For Arno Rafael Minkkinena nudity akin to spirituality. “I do not want to be perceived as a nudist,” – he says. “But there is something in the approximation in the process of creation, when you’re lonely walk through the woods in Finland, without clothes, in search of a good shot, climbing on the rocks and moving like a monkey. Absolutely naked, pressing her toes into the soft ground, you feel like you were created. ”
7. Reserve Fosters Pond, 1989.
From an interview the photographer
– When you are seriously engaged in self-portraits?
– I sent pictures of the Rhode Island School of Design and the answer came to me that wants to talk to me Harry Callahan . He asked me, “Why do you want to come here?” And I said, “I want to continue my work.” “Great cause,” – he said, and two weeks later I was at Rhode Island School of Design. My life has changed. Now, 30 years later, I continue to do the same.
10. Self-portrait with Christina, Val d’Orcia, Tuscany, Italy, 2008
– Arno Minkkinen: If I was on at least one piece of clothing – it would be a fashion photography. Would the story of the shirt, tie, jacket or shoes. Nudity … And immediately connects me with nature. Connects with the nakedness of water, wood, stone. And the sky. It’s just normal and natural. Also, it’s always me, because I do not want to ask anyone to undress in the cold or hang off a cliff … You have to be drawn in any weather in any conditions.
12. Norway, 2008
– Why do not you change direction? Why are you bound yourself to this project?
– I always thought of it as a puzzle mosaic. I have already collected part, but many pieces still on the table. The work that I can do for life, is not unlimited. Ten years ago I wanted to do something completely different, I thought it would be a problem that will be difficult and interesting fight. But I soon realized that the biggest problem – solve your life problem, try the puzzle one, to see how big it is. How many pieces left?
13. Oulunyarvi noon Paltaniemi, Finland, 2009